The blogs I have chosen to follow have a strong and meaningful purpose for me both as a design professional and a design educator. In two professions that require one to always be on top of their game it is crucial that I pay close attention to the standards and current trends of industry and education.
The first is Adobe, the leading software tool of the trade and what I use in my classroom. Technology today moves as such an alarming rate it is important for me to keep up with what is being used and its advancements so that I can deliver clear, effective and knowledgeable content to my students. In addiction, it keeps my business up-to-date with the practices of other design professionals and organizations.
Adobe Blogs:
http://blogs.adobe.com/index.xml
My classroom is a MAC based lab and I have been a MAC loyalist for over fifteen years. Although it would be amazing if I were actually able to own all the brilliant technology MAC has to offer, I will have to dream of it and keep current via blogs and news provided through Macworld. That is, until Powerball calls my numbers.
Macworld:
http://rss.macworld.com/macworld/feeds/main
HOW is one of the leading magazines for design creatives and has a powerful and distinctive standing in the design community. It is one of seven publications I subscribe to about design and it always has valuable references that I pull into my classroom and lessons.
HOW Blog:
http://blog.howdesign.com/feed/
What I would consider my most important and critical resource for designers and design educators is American Institute of Graphic Artist (AIGA). This is the oldest and largest design organization in the country. I sat on the board of AIGA Colorado, as Educational Chair a few years ago and continue to support their purpose and practices. I believe for a designer at any stage of their career that networking is a vital and necessary tool of success. AIGA provides not only wonderful resources and tools but a great way to network with other creatives.
AIGA Home:
http://www.aiga.org/syndication/articles/home.rss
Lastly, A List Apart is a center of creative knowledge and resources to keep current with industry and discuss industry issues with other creatives.
A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/site/rss

hi Brooke,
ReplyDeleteI would love to see the things you teach. My son has had a great 4ht grade year in an EMINTS class ( technology based) and knows how to use the same programs that I am learning at Full Sail--- What??? Students are very tech savvy today at such an early age that it is important to know your material and the updates in trends. I am so pleased that you find this an important part of the teaching process.